Mike Schreiner, leader of the Ontario Green Party, has worked across party lines to support carbon pricing, ban hydraulic fracturing (fracking), secure provincial funding for the Experimental Lakes Area, reduce use of neonicotinoid pesticides, and gather support for provincial organic food regulations. He served on the boards of FarmStart, Green Enterprise Ontario, and the Toronto Food Policy Council, as well as the Rotary Guelph Environment Committee. In Guelph, he founded one of Ontario’s first local organic food distributors in 1995, and an organic food production business in the early 2000s. He was co-founder and vice president of Local Food Plus, an award-winning non-profit that connected local sustainable food producers with institutions, restaurants, and retailers.
Full Environmental History
1996-2005 - Co-Founder and Manager of WOW Foods, an award-winning local organic food distribution company that connected local farmers with consumers in the GTA and Guelph.
- Won Toronto Food Policy Council’s Local Food Hero Award
2000s - Served on the board of various agricultural and environmental organizations such as FarmStart, Rotary Guelph Environment Committee, Green Enterprise Ontario, and the Toronto Food Policy Council.
2005-2009 - Co-Founder and Vice-President of Local Food Plus, a non-profit that connects farmers and consumers to promote financially, socially and environmentally sustainable local food systems.
- Won Canadian Environment Award for Sustainable Living
- Won Green Toronto Awards of Excellence
- Won NOW Magazine’s Award for best new environmental initiative
2012-2017 - Contributor to Huffington Post Canada, where he wrote articles on water protection, healthy food systems, recycling, climate change, clean tech, transit, energy and carbon pricing.
2009-present - Leader of the Ontario Green Party, where he worked across party lines to:
- Secure provincial funding for the Experimental Lakes Area (2013)
- Gather support for reducing the use of neonicotinoid pesticides (2014)
- Launch a campaign to ban on fracking in Ontario (2015)
- Gather support for provincial organic food regulations (2017)
Lead the charge on the campaign to protect water at the Dolime Quarry (2013-2015)