Location: Toronto, Ontario (preferred)
Starting Date: June, 2020
Status: Contract, with opportunity for flex-time GreenPAC is a non-partisan, non-profit organization working to elect and support environmental leaders of all major parties running for office. We work to build leadership in major political parties, and have run successful endorsement campaigns in the Federal (2015, 2019), Manitoba (2016), B.C. (2017) and Ontario (2018) elections. In fall 2018 we launched Canada’s first Parliamentary Internship Program for the Environment and in 2019 we worked with community groups across the country to host over 100 non-partisan all candidates debates on the environment. We are an ambitious, curious and creative group with a good sense of humour.
Reporting to and working closely with the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) is responsible for implementing the strategic plan and operational management of the organization. The ED has three direct staff reports and oversees other part-time and internship staff as well as volunteers.
- A post-secondary degree in a related field, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum five years leading concurrent programs/projects with demonstrated success in meeting budgets, timelines and goals, ideally in a not-for-profit organization.
- Successfully managing a small staff team including those working remotely.
- Experience and knowledge of fundraising in a not for profit environment, including sponsorship.
- Developing or participating in the development of strategic plans; creating annual operational plans, including budgets; implementing, tracking and reporting on meeting annual goals.
- Working as a member of staff or volunteer in an environmental organization; expertise in environmental issues and knowledge of the leading environmental groups and individuals a definite asset.
- Direct participation in an election campaign and/or working with an elected official a definite asset.
Skills and Attributes:
- Budget and financial management literacy and competency
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal; superior interpersonal skills for working with staff, volunteers, donors, MPs and other stakeholders
- Proficient in revenue generation and a willingness to play a lead role in fundraising
- A passion for addressing environmental issues and a keen interest in politics
- A strategic thinker and a problem-solver who loves learning
- Enthusiasm, flexibility and a positive attitude are essential
- Providing leadership and oversight of all staff and interns, including supporting the design and progress of work plans ensuring they align with organizational goals; professional development; providing regular informal feedback and formal performance reviews at least once a year.
- Overseeing and assisting with recruitment and management of Parliamentary Interns.
- Overseeing and providing assistance when necessary for volunteer recruitment and training.
- Hiring and contract management; managing staff performance and related issues.
Administration and Finance:
- In consultation with and final approval from the Board, developing and implementing the annual budget.
- Working with the Board Treasurer to ensure adherence to budget and responsible financial management of the organization.
- Signing authority on accounts and credit cards.
- Managing the GreenPAC database on the NationBuilder platform and other data systems to ensure accurate and timely information is recorded and accessible.
- Other duties including administrative tasks as requested.
Campaigns and Programs:
- Developing and overseeing all Board-approved election endorsement campaigns, including the budget and timeline, and supporting staff and volunteers involved in campaigns.
- Overseeing the Parliamentary Internship Program, including working closely with the Program Manager, host MPs and their staff.
- Preparing summary and review documents for all campaigns; keeping endorsed MPs accountable.
- Supporting all Board-approved non-election campaigns and programs.
- Working with the Fundraising Committee and staff on the creation and implementation of a fundraising strategy to meet specific timelines and targets.
- Developing and implementing donor prospect and stewardship plans.
- Identifying funding opportunities and submitting applications for grants; managing grant and foundation relationships.
- Managing communications staff, contractors, interns and volunteers.
- Acting as spokesperson for GreenPAC.
- Overseeing all communications including media releases, op-eds, social media and blog content for partner sites to ensure consistency in messaging.
- Actively seeking partnership opportunities to expand our reach with audiences who care about the environment.
- Overseeing timely responses to inquiries and ensuring the website is maintained and up-dated.
Board and Senior Volunteer Relations
- Building and maintaining good relationships with Board members, senior advisors and fundraising volunteers; supporting problem-solving and implementing solutions.
- Assisting with recruitment of new Board members, advisors and Expert Panel members, as needed.
- Providing the Board with timely reports on organizational activity, including metrics on meeting goals.
- Attending Board meetings and supporting the Board as needed.
GreenPAC supports and encourages diversity and equity, and we strive to make staff positions accessible to all potential team members, regardless of ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender or identity.
To apply, please send a cover letter and your resume to: email@example.com. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.