Riding: Boundary - Similkameen,
Regions: Kootenay Boundary; Okanagan - Similkameen,
Province: British Columbia
Elected as Grand Forks city councillor in 2014, Ross has been championing for green spaces in Grand Forks, as well as advocating for bylaw changes to allow for “pocket communities” featuring energy efficient, affordable, walkable homes.
Prior to entering politics, Ross has shown environmental leadership in many roles, including:
- Board and Executive member of the National Farmers Union of Canada (NFU), including serving as Vice President for policy for 12 years;
- Active representative for La Via Campesina (LVC) Biodiversity Commission;
- Advocate for Nutrient Management Plans in Ontario and B.C. to protect water sources from agriculture, forestry and mining activities;
- Steering committee member for Food Secure Canada;
- Founding steering committee member of the Canadian Biotechnology Action Network for over 10 years, where she worked to impose a moratorium on Gene Use Restriction Technology (Terminator Technology) in seeds and ensure mandatory labelling of GM foods;
- Member of the Ecological Farmers Association of Ontario for over 15 years
- Advocate for sustainable forest practices, reducing agricultural runoff, better irrigation practices, responsible land/water management, protection of the Agricultural Land Reserve, alternative energy projects, and establishing the South Okanagan Similkameen National Park;
- Official delegate at the UN Convention of Biological Diversity and Genetic Resources, and panelist at Women's Earth and Climate Summit.
Ross is also a member and producer of the Kettle Valley Food Co-op. She grows organic crops and raises livestock on Grand Union Farm in Grand Forks. She has farmed in Australia and in Canada for over 30 years, and has received an Organic Leadership Award.
To support Colleen Ross' campaign, fill out the pledge form below and indicate your financial commitment. After you have filled out the form you will be redirected to Ross' donation page where you can make your actual contribution.